Thursday, March 1, 2012

Test Baby

Lydia Jane has thrush. I told her as soon as she came home from the hospital that she was going to be the victim of Cory and me learning to be parents. Sadly, the poor girl has already suffered because of this. When I first saw the thrush, I thought it was milk. It wasn't until she had it for a couple days and had been really fussy that I called and asked my mom if she could possibly have ulcers. I described to her what was going on and she immediately said "oh, that's thrush." Why didn't I think of that? Well, I had no idea what thrush really was. I had heard the horror stories but I had no idea what the symptoms were. It is moments like these, when there is something obvious I have forgotten to learn or do, that I feel badly for our little girl. When I think about all the things I don't know about parenting, it sort of overwhelms me. I've thought about reading parenting books, but I just can't make myself purchase one. I am crazy about reading reviews before I buy something. From the reviews I read about baby books, I have realized that it is entirely a game if chance. What an author suggests may work for your child and you love the book, or it may not work and you hate it. Basically, trying to fit your child into some experts box has a 50/50 chance of being a terrible idea.  So for now I'm sticking with my What to Expect in the First year and hope that between that, my favorite mom blogs, and my own mom we will make it through!
I am also terrible at delivering medicine. As evidence, a picture of Lydia Jane in a gown she wore for less than 12 hours.





Raise your hand if your mom shoots medicine down your throat and gets more on your clothes than in your mouth.
As sad as that picture is, I think it looked worse in person. She now gets her medicine like this:





In good news, it took me so long to complete and publish this post, she is now better!  So I guess at least some of that medicine actually made it into her mouth. :)

No comments: