Thursday, March 1, 2012

Portrait of a Mother

Tonight as I was handing the teenage cashier my card at Chick-fil-a, I thought to myself "These kids must think I am a very sad, lonely woman."  There I was in my t-shirt and pajama pants with my hair sliding down from its place atop my head and my face on the greasy side because I hadn't had a chance to shower yet, alone in my car getting a large soup and chargrilled sandwich.  I'm sure they thought I was just some crazy woman off to drown her sorrows in an overly large portioned meal.  I didn't tell them that my husband had a large lunch that day and only wanted a sandwich and I am fighting some congestion that is the result of forgetting to take my allergy medicine for about a week and soup sounded heavenly (it was).  No, I just informed him that I would not like any sauces, took my card back and drove back home to my family.  On my drive I realized that this is what happiness looks like for me right now.  Who cares that it looks like sloppy sadness to everyone else?  I'm a mom.  Sometimes sacrifices must be made.  Unfortunately, right now the thing I sacrifice most is a shower.  One day I will be a cute mom and everyone will see my happiness right away.  Today is not that day.  Today is the day everyone looks at me and sees a wreck but I know better.  I know that I wouldn't trade these dark circles, greasy face and crazy hair for anything because they are all marks of my motherhood.  They are proof that happiness is found through love and sacrifice.  I'm so grateful to have had the opportunity to learn that through loving and sacrificing for these two adorable people!

3 comments:

House of Squitty said...

So sweet.

GtHolts said...

you made me cry.

State of Grace said...

I couldn't have said it better! Don't worry...you couldn't be anything BUT a cute mom!!(especially with such a cute accessory! haha)