Thursday, October 13, 2011

26 Weeks: What's in a Name?

This past week has not been a great one.  I'm pretty sure everyone in my building is running a contest to see who can say the most insensitive/annoying thing to me in the elevator.  Things I have gotten recently:
*"How many months are you?"  "About 6."  In a super shocked sounding voice "Well, you're pretty!"  Umm...I don't even understand.  Was this supposed to be a compliment?  Should have turned into a hag by this point in my pregnancy?  How I managed to hold that off while getting every other pregnancy side effect, I will never know...
*"You're STILL pregnant???" "Yes, I'm only 6 months" "Oh." I know I'm terrible about posting pregnant pictures of myself on here, but I've only gained 20 pounds.  I just checked and I haven't gained anything in the past two weeks.  It feels like baby girl has taken up an exercise routine so that is not really surprising. :) Granted, my belly has gotten bigger but I still haven't gained any weight.  So why people think I look 9 months pregnant already, I don't know.
*"Have you decided on a name yet?"  'Yes, it's _____." "Oh, well I guess those old fashioned names are coming back in style."  with a voice and face that make it obvious she doesn't like it.  Excuse me, but I did not pick out her name hoping anyone else other than myself and Cory would like it.  I especially do not care if you do not like it, woman with a bimbo name. 
This whole idea that when you are pregnant everything about you, your baby, and your pregnancy becomes public domain kind of bothers me. (I type on my blog. Yes, I realize the irony.) Why do people you don't know feel like it is okay to give you all kinds of opinions on what you should do ect. just because you are pregnant?  It makes me want to go up to them in the grocery store, start looking through their cart, and give them a critique about their choices. 
Sorry for the soapbox, but I really needed to get that off my chest.  I try really hard not to explode at these people, but it needs an outlet somewhere.  I've been physically sick this past week, which I know makes me really emotional and prone to irritation as a result.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
We actually missed church on Sunday because I was sick.  I was downstairs talking to my dad. Seriously, I don't know how people survive without their own personal doctor/dad.  I know I couldn't! Anyway, I was really upset and when I got off the phone with him and went upstairs to tell Cory I needed to stay home, he was just getting up from saying a prayer.  For me.  He heard me crying talking to my dad and his first response is to ask Heavenly Father to help me.  I don't think I have ever felt so blessed and loved. 
During all that drama, we have actually been able to make some progress.  We picked a name!  Cory still likes to tease my by periodically suggesting something ridiculous.  I doubt this will stop even when her name is on the birth certificate.  Poor girl isn't going to have a clue what her real name is because her daddy is going to call her so many different things!  The name we chose is:
Lydia Jane
I've loved the name Lydia since I was walking through Hyde Park in London and heard a mother call her daughter that.  I just thought it sounded so pretty.  I didn't know if I would like it as much without the British accent, but it turns out I do. :) Also, Lydia is the name of the first convert to Christianity, which is pretty cool. 
Jane has been on my "middle name list" for a while.  For a long time, I loved the name Isabelle but it is just too popular now (Thanks, Twilight.).  I never could decide on a middle name to go with it until I was doing baptisms at the temple one night and was baptised for a woman with the middle name Jane.  It would have been perfect!  Turns out, I think it goes really well with Lydia also.  So much so that we are going to call her by her first and middle names. 
So after looking through hundreds of names on the Internet, in baby books, and in family history we finally decided on one of our very first choices!  Go figure.  I really wanted a family name but when your choices are things like "Cora Elvira" and "Ethel May," (not making either of those up) giving her her own name to make a legacy for seems much more appealing.  :)
We have also made significant progress on what I like to call "Project Organization."  If this is what I'm like now, I really hate to see what I turn into when the nesting really starts.  I'm hoping to have some picture worthy projects done over the next month or so.  Right now it is all pretty boring stuff.  I have gotten rid of so much useless junk, it is crazy.  Moving so much during college created several "black hole" boxes of things that I hadn't looked at in years.  It feels really good to finally go through and get rid of things!  My goal for this week is just to keep it up!

5 comments:

State of Grace said...

Emily and Naomi....Lydia Jane and Grace....has a nice ring to it!! I am just soo excited, and I LOVE the name. and I love your rant. I remember how annoying that was! But, you are gorgeous, and remember that all the times you are going to get, "are you STILL pregnant" in the next 3 months.

I LOVE YOU (and Lydia Jane)!!!

House of Squitty said...

I was just asking Naomi about you today and asked if you guys had a name picked out yet. I love the name...especially Jane...it's one of my favorites.

mary had a... said...

Well I think that is an especially lovely name. And I would certainly expect nothing less from you :) Yay for organizing too! I've been doing the same thing for the past month or so..quite the process! Anywho, so excited for you two and sweet little one! xoxo

State of Grace said...

ok...so yesterday I made a comment and today it is gone. Then I just tried to comment AGAIN, and it wouldn't let me...so i'm trying AGAIN!!

That should tell you how important I think it is to tell you that I LOVE the name!
Lydia Jane and Grace has a nice ring to it like Emily and Naomi. I'm just sayin'

Celia said...

I love it! If we were having girls instead of boys, Lydia was one of our names. Funny enough, my grandmother is named Lydia Jane :) So, that is the EXACT name we loved. Good taste!! We just had a friend name her baby that too (not something you want to hear when you pick a name, but just so you know it IS normal!). Also, I have a great-grandmother named Ethel and so does my husband. Haha. Not happening!!