Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Pot Roast Episode: Parts 1 & 2

Part 1
Last Friday night Cory and I bought a pot roast from BiLo I planned to make for Sunday lunch. Saturday as I was cleaning out the car, I found the spoiled pot roast in the back seat. It had fallen down into the foot and Cory didn't see it when he brought the other groceries inside. I was a little frustrated as I dumped the roast into the trash can but rallied and ended up throwing things together and creating my own recipe for Crock Pot Chicken and Rice that turned out well. That is a sort of miracle itself. The last time I tried to "throw something together" Cory ended up throwing it up on the way to the ER, which wasn't the poor recipes fault however badly it came out, but it still left me a little scarred. This is the first thing I have "thrown together" since and that was at least 3 years ago! Everyone has assured me this one was a sucess though, so I could be cured. Whether or not that is a good thing, time will tell. :)

Part 2
We signed up to feed the missionaries on Tuesday night and since I already had everything to go with Pot Roast, I decided to buy another and make that. On Tuesday morning I woke up early to get everything in the crock pot and turned it on low so it would be ready when I got home from work and the missionaries arrived at 5:30. I didn't think about it again until I was driving home and talking with Cory. I hear him walk in the house and turn off the alarm before he says "What are we having for dinner?" I respond, "Pot roast, it's cooking in the slow cooker" to which he says "You do know that it's not pugged in, right?" I literally gasped and could not believe I had managed to ruin not one, but TWO pot roasts in less than a week. Luckily I was right in front of Publix and managed to get the last roast chicken they had and some vegetables to steam. The missionaries were still happy and my dogs are very grateful for their treat of pot roast and carrots!


The one good thing that came out of all this, my new chicken and rice recipe, I will share.


Emily's Creamy Chicken and Rice


Ingredients
4 Chicken Breast
1 1/4 cups rice
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 cans cream of chicken soup
10 3/4 oz. water (I just filled an empty can)
1 packet of Lipton Onion Soup Mix
1 tsp. garlic powder


Directions
1. Cut the chicken into cubes and cook in a skillet until the outsides are white. They can still be raw in the center.
2. Place the chicken in the bottom of the crock pot.
3. Mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl and pour over the chicken.
4. Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 4 hours.


It was super easy and I just used things I had on hand. It turns out pretty rich so if you want it to be less creamy, you can leave off one can of cream soup.

No comments: