Thursday, May 26, 2011

Book Worm Wednesday: Historical Christian Fiction

**Sorry this is late guys.  My Wednesday got a little pear shaped...**

It took me a while to come around to reading Christian fiction.  At first I thought the stories would be overwhelmingly full of scriptures and self righteous speeches.  I myself am a Christian, but I believe in showing that through my deeds, not my words.  Well, through a couple of recommendations, I gradually started to pick up more and more Christian fiction literature.  Now, I'm hooked.  It was nothing like I thought it would be and I love that I can count on the books I buy to contain strong women with values and story lines that strengthen my faith.   One of the first I read was Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers.  Whether you read this genre or not, most people have at least heard of this one so I thought it was a safe place to begin.  I loved the historical setting and the parallel to the bible story of Gomer and Hosea.  I love reading the original story in the scriptures after reading a book like this one.  It makes me feel so much more connected to it.  HOWEVER, it is a little heavy at 464 pages and would not necessarily be my first pick for someone just starting out with historical Christian fiction.  I definitely consider it a must read but Angel can be a very frustrating girl to love.  Reading as she struggles to accept the atonement in her life makes me want to scream and cry at the same time.  So I say, read this one at your own risk.  It's a wonderful story but prepare to be frustrated; these characters are broken and this is a book about their repair.

Some suggestions for beginners (or not!) to Historical Christian Fiction:

A Bride Most Begrudging by Deeanne Gist
Anything by Deeanne Gist is a pretty safe bet.  She is funny and her stories are, while a little improbable, very engaging.
Letter Perfect by Cathy Marie Hake
An accident prone girl who can't keep her mouth shut.  What's not to love?
The Inheritance by Tamera Alexander
A good old fashioned western romance.

In a later post, I'll give some suggestions for contemporary Christian fiction although I will admit I don't have as much experience with those.
Is there any type of book YOU would like me to write about?  If so, let me know in the comments!

No comments: