Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Book Worm Wednesday: Returns!

So I have been on a little hiatus from BWW lately.  Not because I don't like it, but because I have been SUPER busy lately.  It seems like every Wednesday the youth are having some crazy activity or other and by the time I get home I am pooped!  So to keep my sanity, I'm going to compromise and only do them about twice a month, more if I have more time.  So without further ado: Hello England!

There is something about summer than makes me long for England.  Maybe it is really just the clouds and moderate weather I am craving.  We always want what we don’t have, right? I have a monthly subscription to audible and lately I have been using all my credits to purchase Georgette Heyer novels.  They have been the perfect solace. J If you like audiobooks and Victorian England, I would recommend these.  The narrators are fantastic!  My favorite so far has been Cotillion.

It is the story of Kitty, the adopted niece of a man with a great fortune to which she is heiress provided she marries one of his nephews.   When the right nephew(Jack) doesn’t respond to his uncles summons to what I will call “the proposal conference,” Kitty is miffed and convinces her cousin Freddy who “is not in the petticoat line” (has no plans to marry, to us modern day folk) to pretend to be engaged to her so she can go to London and make Jack mad with jealousy.  To find out how this plan works, you will have to read Cotillion for yourself!

Cousins of all varieties abound and provide much entertainment throughout the book.  Kitty manages to get herself into quite a few scrapes on her own as well.  Luckily she has more than one charming cousin to come to the rescue! 

Georgette Heyer is a lot like Jane Austen with a lighthearted twist.  She wrote in the early and mid-1900’s so the language is not quite so overwhelming.  You are able to fully enjoy the charm of sayings such as “I dare say” “Are you feeling quite the thing?” and “The outside of enough” just to name a few of my favorites.  AND the best part about Heyer is that if you come to love her work as I have done, there are plenty of delightfully funny stories from which to choose your second read.

No comments: