Friday, April 1, 2011

Making Mole Hills Out of Mountains

I stress a lot. I mean seriously, it is ridiculous. I like having everything planned in advance. I make a lot of lists. I counted the other day and have eight different calendars. EIGHT! Who does that?!? Crazy people, that’s who. Unfortunately, that’s also me. This week has been particularly stressful for me and many things haven’t gone as planned. Yesterday when I waited in line at Taco Bell for 15 minutes only to be told their card machine was broken (I never carry cash) when I was already running late getting back from lunch I almost burst into tears. The only reason I didn’t was because I was determined not to cry over something as silly as Taco Bell. I came back to work, vented to my long suffering coworkers about the craziness and snacked on some goldfish. As I was being particularly petulant, I checked the blog of a family from my home town to read about the progress of their daughter who had heart surgery on Wednesday. As I was reading the things this mother had written about seeing her baby girl with tubes coming out of her body after literally having her chest ripped open, I felt so humbled. The words she wrote were so beautiful and heartbreaking. I can’t even imagine what she and the rest of her family are going through but I was so touched by the positive outlook she has on everything. At that moment I was so grateful for my trials. They seem so small in comparison. So what if I don’t get lunch one day. There are children in this world who haven’t had lunch all week. I am so blessed but sometimes I look past all my blessings and only see whatever is not going perfectly with my many plans. I have decided today that I’m going to try a little harder to be a little better, as President Hinckley once said. To count more of my blessing and not worry so much when things aren’t exactly how I want them to be. That’s life. I won’t always be able to change the circumstances, but I can change my attitude. So look out world, I’m now turning my mountains into molehills!

To read about the Penningtons and their sweet Mary Clare, visit Baby Pennington. I'm sure they would appreciate your prayers.

1 comment:

mary had a... said...

i LOVE this post, thanks for sharing! i think i'll start making mole hills out of my mountains too!