Thursday, January 12, 2012

Squirrel Invasion!

When I walked in the door from work on Wednesday, I heard a noise.  Then I saw a grey furry thing run across my floor.  When I got over the shock of this and noticed the ruined blind on our breakfast room window, I freaked out.  I immediately thought of Lydia's nursery and ran upstairs.  Of course the squirrel had run into her room as well.  As soon as I saw it, I was so mad!  I yelled "Get out of my baby's room!"  The squirrel, not understanding English and thus my motherly fury, ran further into the room.  I then walked to the window and was going to try and open it to shoo him out but he ran past me and out of the room.  I realize now I probably should have followed him and contained him in one room, but at the time my main concern was my baby's room.  I did a check to make sure everything was fine, which it was, and called Cory.  Luckily he was on his way home already and told me where I could find a net in the garage.  I'm walking around the house with this huge fishing net when he calls back and says "Actually, you should probably stop looking for the squirrel.  I've called Mike (my brother in law) and he's on his way and I'll be there in a few minutes."  So then I am again worried that the squirrel is in my baby's room even though I closed the door on my way out. This will become a theme for the night;  I think I have made Cory check it at least 5 times. I barricade myself in her room and call my cousin Nancy.  She is really more like an aunt to me and I lived with her my last year of college and Cory even moved in for a few months after we got married while our house was being finished.  A few years ago, she came home from a trip and her house had been ransacked.  Things were torn up, her blinds we all ruined, it was terrible.  At first she thought someone had broken in.  Then while her sister was there helping her get things back in order, they found the squirrel.  Cue the jokes about the squirrel burglar. After the second squirrel got in her house a few months ago, it became an even bigger joke.  At Christmas Eve this year, my cousin Wesley made a huge show of presenting her with a ring that looks like a squirrel.  We all laughed and laughed about it but I am definitely not laughing now!  (Even though she and I did share a few laughs on the phone tonight at the craziness.) Mike got there shortly before Cory and took over my net, but the squirrel was nowhere to be found.  I must be pretty scary because he definitely chose a good hiding spot from me!  After doing a full sweep of the house and some research, we decide to go to Lowes and get some traps.  We set those, pulled up all the blinds and left for church, where all my young women were in a tizzy over the squirrel (I had earlier called my YW president to let her know what was going on and that I might be late).  One offered to come help us catch it (I already jokingly refer to her as Bindi Irwin, so this was no surprise), and a couple even wanted it as a pet when we do catch it!  They have obviously never had one in their house or I think they would not be saying any such things!  I was hoping he would be in one of the traps when we got home, but alas, no.  He is still on the loose somewhere in my house and I am left feeling both trapped and extremely exposed.  While finding a squirrel in your house at 39 weeks pregnant is definitely not ideal, I guess it beats finding him after coming home from the hospital.  Here's hoping he has a taste for peanut butter...

1 comment:

mary had a... said...

This is hilarious! Glad we can all get a good laugh, right?!